Sunday, October 17, 2021

A Scalpel

In high school and college, my Campus Crusade for Christ leaders literally referred to our bibles as swords. Quoting the bible itself, they said that the Word of the Lord was the most powerful weapon in the armor of God. Our swords defended supremacy stories that scripted the innocence of America, the wealth of white folk, the sin of gay people and Christianity’s everlasting monopoly on heaven. I remember feeling the rush of entitlement. Because I was in possession of The Absolute Truth and it could slash any liberal argument. At least in my mind.

In seminary, I studied the bible in its original languages. I learned that, in the ancient world, the same Greek word (machaira) was used for both “sword” and “scalpel.” This revelation was great news. Because it seems to me that instead of manipulating sacred texts to militarize the truth, they should be prepping us to perform soul surgery. The biblical accounts are literary creations, not literal history. They are intended to be read critically and carefully. Not used to clobber others, but to carve out the supremacy that causes spiritual cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment