Monday, October 11, 2021

A Relationship

For me, the Indigenous Peoples Day celebration comes with a sacred tension of grief and gratitude. It rolls around every Fall to remind me of my sacred responsibility to conspire with those who lived sustainably and reverently on the land for thousands of years before those who became “white” violently stole it.

Indigenous peoples teach me that Earth offers us a relationship, not a resource. An endless spiritual experience, not an economic investment.
Indigenous lifestyles represent liberating alternatives to the white ways of columbus, characterized by control, coercion, possession and profit. I am indebted to Indigenous Peoples, past and present, who model a life marinating in wonder, awe, accountability, mutuality, mystery, presence, playfulness, tenderness and trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment