Thursday, July 21, 2022

Traveling Companion

It’s summer reading season. Last week, I picked up Toni Morrison’s Beloved for the first time ever. Don’t judge me. I’m way behind. It’s obviously brilliant and beautiful. Just like I’ve heard from countless conversation partners. I usually read non-fiction, but I am slowly learning what this “other” kind of literature does to the soul. 

This sample shimmered for me. It comes right after Native folks, who refused to move to the reservation, cut off the shackles of Paul D, a man who escapes slavery and stays with them in the Southern woods. I love how Black folk and Indigenous people take cues from non-human life. It's not a resource. It's a relative. Just as intended. 
 ------------------------------------------------ 
“Paul D finally woke up and, admitting his ignorance, asked how he might get North. Free North. Magical North. Welcoming, benevolent North. The Cherokee smiled and looked around. The flood rains of a month ago had turned everything to steam and blossoms. 

‘That way,’ he said, pointing. ‘Follow the tree flowers,’ he said, ‘Only the tree flowers. As they go, you go. You will be where you want to be when they are gone.’ 

So he raced from dogwood to blossoming peach. Whey they thinned out he headed for the cherry blossoms, then magnolia, chinaberry, pecan, walnut and prickly pear. At last he reached a field of apple trees whose flowers were just becoming tiny knots of fruit. Spring sauntered north, but he had to run like hell to keep it as his traveling companion.”

No comments:

Post a Comment