Monday, June 21, 2021

I'm Third

When it gets hot and humid, I often think about my time at Kanakuk, a sweaty Evangelical Christian sports camp where I worked for two summers when I was in my twenties. On the banks of Table Rock Lake in the Ozarks, it was a beautiful setting to get serious about faith with folks I found to be profoundly passionate and sincere. I’ve moved on from most of the tenets of this brand of Christian fundamentalism, but I am still drawn to its simple motto: I’m Third. As in: God first, Others second, I’m third. In a world flooded with entitlement and narcissism, this is still compelling to me. However, over the past two decades, slowly learning how power works, I’ve had to make a few modifications.

The God I now roll with is soaked in steadfast love, social justice and a faithfulness to the most vulnerable. The “others” start with those outside my algorithm—no matter where they were born, what they look like, how they worship or who they love. I no longer believe that my third-place position means that I must keep the peace by being nice and neutral. Love requires that I disagree with “others” of power and privilege getting busy (or staying silent) justifying policies and perspectives that oppress “others” perpetually left behind (no pun intended). I’m Third is great--as long as no one is fourth.

No comments:

Post a Comment