Monday, November 22, 2010
What I Know...So Far.
When I receive new information, I change my views. What do you do, sir?
John Maynard Keynes
About 10% of everything I know is wrong. The only problem is I don't know which 10%.
...even one’s most cherished and tenaciously held convictions might be false and are in principle always subject to rejection, reformulation, improvement, or reformation.
1. Most of the things my white friends say about illegal immigrants simply are not true.
2. All of us are far more influenced by media than we admit.
3. The more we spend time with friends who are confessional and truth-telling, the more authentic we become.
4. The Bible is loaded with authoritative, inspirational and life-transforming "scripts," but is neither an error-free nor self-evident "textbook" of Truth.
5. Watching professional sports (like American "politics") is one of the easiest (and perhaps most harmful, overlooked & addictive) ways to escape reality and numb the pain and confusion of our complex world.
6. Scapegoating groups of people smaller in number and less privileged than ourselves (gays, gang-bangers, Muslims, Mormons, illegal "aliens") is one of the greatest strategies for leaders (from parents to Presidents) to avoid finding real answers to society's problems.
7. Techno music is underrated.
8. What someone makes in salary has absolutely nothing to do with how valuable they are to society.
9. Corporations and banks never make decisions based on the interests of consumers.
10. Corporations and banks rarely make decisions based on the interests of their employees.
11. Most Americans aren't dumb, they are just distracted, busy and consumed with fear & anxiety.
12. Most Americans aren't greedy, arrogant or narcissistic, they are just spiritually empty.
13. The vast majority of people I meet who were born in another country are far more knowledgable about world events and the effects of American policies on the rest of the world.
14. The vast number of poor people surviving in the world today do not lack work ethic & ingenuity, they lack opportunity.
15. The Shawshank Redemption is the greatest movie ever made.
16. Both major political parties prioritize policies that benefit the "interests" who fund their campaigns, not the other 98% of their constituents.
17. Mainstream media, cable news networks and am radio all consistently fail to confront all sorts of privileged and powerful interests that continue to benefit from unjust policies.
18. When Republican political leaders say "less government!" they actually mean "more government(!) to protect corporations, wealthy families, US imperial interests overseas and an old-school, status quo version of family values."
19. When Democratic political leaders say "hope" and "change" they win elections and then protect corporations, wealthy families, US imperial interests overseas and an old-school, status quo version of family values.
20. The fact that plastic grocery bags, porn and texting-while-driving (a $20 fine is not really a legit "penalty") are all still legal in most of the US is really quite disturbing.
21. When Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh speak no one should ever listen.
22. Back scratches from your spouse are better than 99% of things that money can buy (and when our gay brothers and lesbian sisters get back scratches from their "life partners" the state should officially recognize an activity this mysteriously beautiful as coming from "spouses").